Planning a vacation to Canmore isn’t always an easy task, but planning a pet-friendly vacation can be even trickier. There is always a lot more that goes into planning a trip with a pet, like finding pet-friendly accommodation, activities to do with your pet, or even just making sure you pack everything you need. But if you can plan and prepare for your trip with your pet well, you’re in for an adventure that will be fun and rewarding for both you and your furry best friend.
If you’re hoping to bring your pet along for the ride, read on for Spring Creek Vacations’ guide to travelling with a dog to Canmore.
Where To Stay In Canmore With Your Dog: Pet-friendly Vacation Rentals & Accommodation
Finding accommodation for you and your pet can feel like an impossible task. But you may be surprised to hear that Canmore is a very pet-friendly town with plenty of options for places to stay with your dog. And these aren’t only the rundown, older spaces you’re properly dreading and used to seeing. In fact, there are some truly stunning, luxurious vacation rentals and hotel suites that you and your pet can stay in comfortably.
Here’s our list of top three pet-friendly vacation rentals and accommodations to book for your vacation to Canmore:
- Tamarack Lodge Unit 303A Pet-Friendly Vacation Rental:
Located in the heart of Spring Creek in Spring Creek Vacations’ newest building, the Tamarack Lodge, is this stunning pet-friendly vacation rental. The Tamarack Lodge offers guests access to their exercise gym as well as a relaxing shared hot tub. Tamarack Lodge Unit 303A is a luxury condo with two bedrooms, two and a half bathrooms, a fully-equipped gourmet kitchen, a private balcony and plenty of space to entertain your guests and keep your dog comfortable. This vacation rental can accommodate up to 6 guests (as well as your pet) and has a sophisticated, modern style. Check out this cozy, luxurious vacation rental for your pet-friendly vacation to Canmore.
- Tamarack Lodge Unit 312A Pet-Friendly Vacation Rental:
Also found in the Tamarack Lodge is Spring Creek Vacations’ other pet-friendly condo rental. Primely located right next to Spring Creek’s beautiful The Beat courtyard, you can find plenty of things to do like shopping, food, and social gathering areas, and you’re only a short walk to Canmore’s downtown area. This luxury vacation rental features a cozy living room with a stone fireplace, a fully-equipped kitchen, two bedrooms with king-sized beds, two bathrooms, a private balcony, and a beautiful modern design with a mountain rustic twist. Find out more about this luxurious pet-friendly vacation rental from Spring Creek Vacations.
- The Malcolm Hotel Pet-Friendly Hotel Suites:
Don’t need a full kitchen or as much space for your stay, or simply not staying for very long in Canmore with your dog? Then the Malcolm Hotel makes for an excellent luxury option! Their Malcolm Double Queen Pet Friendly suite is ideally set up for staying in Canmore with your dog for a shorter visit, with two comfortable queen beds, as well as a bed for your dog. From this room, you can see gorgeous northern views of Policeman’s Creek and the Lady MacDonald Mountain Range, and you’ll have access to their rooftop pool and hot tubs. Plus, The Malcolm treats your dog with specially baked Mut Hut Treats (Mut Hut Emporium is a local boutique pet store in Canmore). Find out more about this pet-friendly hotel suite at The Malcolm.
What To Do In Canmore With Your Dog: Pet-Friendly Activities
Now that you’ve got your pet-friendly accommodation figured out, it’s time to plan out what to do while you’re in Canmore with your dog. From dog-friendly parks and trails to pet-friendly shops, we’ve got the information you need.
Things To Do With Your Dog in Canmore
- Take your dog on a hike on one of the hundreds of trails around Canmore(make sure they’re leashed unless in an off-leash area!)
- Take your dog shopping around Canmore
- Take your dog swimming at Quarry Lake Dog Park
- Relax with your dog in your vacation rental with a good movie
- Take your dog to an off-leash dog park for frisbee, running around, set up agility training or other fun outdoor activities
- Bring your dog to one of the many pet-friendly patios in Canmore (be sure to call ahead – many restaurants, pubs and cafes have pet-friendly patios, but it’s always good to check in advance)
Off-Leash Dog Parks In Canmore:
While you can take your dog to most parks in Canmore so long as they’re on a leash, there are five off-leash dog parks in Canmore to help you enjoy the beautiful town while getting your dog some much-needed exercise and fun. Here are the five dog parks in Canmore you can visit during your vacation:
- Quarry Lake Dog Park, Canmore
- Cougar Creek/Highway 1A Dog Park, Canmore
- Elk Run Off Leash Dog Park, Canmore
- Palliser Dog Park, Canmore (just off of Palliser Lane)
- Hubman Dog Park, Canmore
Pet-Friendly Shops & Pet Stores In Canmore:
You never know if you forget something, run out of their food while on vacation, or maybe you simply want to bring your dog with you while you shop. Here’s our list of some of Canmore’s pet-friendly shops and pet stores in Canmore:
- Mut Hut Emporium, Canmore (pet supply store)
- Purely Pets, Canmore (pet store)
- Adventure Dog Outfitters, Canmore (adventure gear for pets)
- Pet Planet, Canmore (pet supply store)
- Crock A Doodle, Canmore (pottery studio/paint-your-own-pottery. While they allow you to bring your leashed dog, be sure to call ahead)
Pet Care & Veterinarians in Canmore
Looking for someone to watch your dog while on your vacation, or perhaps you want to be prepared in case of an emergency? We’ve got a quick list of pet care services and veterinarians to help you feel prepared for your trip to Canmore:
- At Your Bark And Call, Canmore (pet care, pet sitting and dog walking services)
- Pugs N Mutts Dog Grooming & Daycare, Canmore (dog grooming and pet daycare services)
- Dirty Dog Grooming Salon, Canmore (dog grooming services)
- Canmore Veterinarian Hospital, Canmore (veterinarian services)
- Mountain Animal Hospital & Mobile Veterinarian Care, Canmore (veterinarian services)
How To Prepare For Your Trip To Canmore With Your Dog
With a full dog-friendly itinerary, now all that’s left to do is to prepare for your trip to Canmore with your dog. While finding accommodation is usually the hardest part of planning a pet-friendly vacation, there are a few other things to keep in mind.
Here’s our quick breakdown of things you need to know to prepare for your trip to Canmore:
- Unless you’re in an off-leash dog park or your vacation rental, all dogs must remain on-leash while in Canmore.
- Your dog must be licensed and all its vaccinations should be up to date (this is to keep you, your pet, and other animals and people safe). There are different requirements and costs for licensing your dog depending on your area, so be sure to check with your local municipal rules and regulations surrounding pets.
- Please pick up after your dog! No one likes to step in your dog’s poo, and we want to keep our beautiful town and natural environment clean and healthy as much as possible.
- Please be considerate of other people and the wildlife in Canmore – if your dog can’t be controlled and in sight, or behaves aggressively, we don’t recommend bringing your dog.
- Be sure to pack everything you need for you and your dog. Consider making a checklist of items you’ll need, such as:
- Dog food
- Dog food dish and water dish
- Dog treats
- Any medication they take
- Dog toys
- Dog poop bags
- Dog leash, harness and collar
- Dog license and vaccination paperwork
- Dog life jacket (if you plan to swim)
- Dog booties (it can be very cold in Canmore during the winter and these can help protect your dog’s paws)
- Dog bed
- Dog carrier
- Anything else you typically need in their day-to-day routine
- Check in with your veterinarian before coming to make sure your dog is in good health
- Make sure your vacation will be fun for everyone, including your pet. Pick out comfortable pet-friendly accommodations, plan some pet-friendly activities, and don’t leave your pet in your vacation rental alone to avoid them becoming bored and anxious.
Canmore: The Ultimate Pet-Friendly Vacation Destination
Bringing your pet on your vacation to Canmore can be a fun adventure for everyone to enjoy. Not only will your dog love being included, but you get to also bring your furry best friend along for the fun. With plenty of things to do in Canmore with your dog, and places to stay, you won’t have to worry about leaving your pet behind.
If you’re hoping to plan a pet-friendly getaway to Canmore and need somewhere to stay, be sure to check out Spring Creek Vacations’ Tamarack Unit 303A and Unit 312A for pet-friendly vacation rentals or contact us for more information.